Job Title: Product Development Intern
Job Type: Fixed Term, Full-Time
Location: Brixton, London (and remote)
Salary: £18,525 - £20,000 per annum
Reporting to: Technical Designer and Developer
Start Date: ASAP - end of Feb, 2023
Application criteria: Send brief cover letter (150 words max), CV & digital portfolio to
firstname.lastname@example.org email subject: PD INTERNSHIP
Desmond & Dempsey is a brand dedicated to celebrating life at home. We have started by making really fancy pyjamas. We sell our pyjamas predominantly through our website and in the top retailers around the world (places like Selfridges and Net-a-Porter).
SUMMARY OF THE ROLE
We’re looking for an enthusiastic product development intern to facilitate seasonal designs with great technical skills and organisational talent. Reporting to the the Technical Designer and Developer, your role is to assist in developing new products, fabric sourcing and archiving of trims, prints and protos. You will support the technical designer and developer from fabric and trim sourcing though to tech pack updating, proto fit meetings and Top of Production samples. The right candidate will be extremely detail orientated and organised with a passion for product and fabric.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
SOURCING, DEVELOPMENT AND TECHNICAL DESIGN
- Attend design handovers and fit sessions, finalising tech packs with fit comments and raw material details to action protos.
- Measure samples to ensure QC is met and protos come in to spec
- Research new fabric developments and put together small presentations for design check ins
- Work with Design to source new fabrics, trims and suppliers striking the right balance between quality and price always keeping in mind our sustainability goals
- Help with inputting BOMs and product information into our PLM (Zedonk), ensuring all data is up to date before handovers to production
- Assist in ordering all sampling materials from SMS through to Pre Production samples in line with the critical path, ensuring they match all technical files
- On occasion you may be asked to raise sampling POs and/or file invoices
ARCHIVING & SAMPLE MANAGEMENT
- Maintain an extremely accurate and neat print, fabric and trim archive including costing, lead times and consumption
- Oversee the reference garment archive and proto/development rail
- Help to keep size set archive up to date and organised
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
Fashion & Textile or Textile Design degree essential
Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and Google sheets
Good communication skills
Multi-tasker who works well under pressure
Excellent research skills
Intermediate technical knowledge of garment construction, fit and fabric
- Written and oral fluency in English
WHY JOIN D&D?
- We really care about making great things, whether it's pyjamas, other products for around the house, videos or ads. We value and prioritise quality and creativity.
- We are a small team (currently 25) but growing quickly, so it’s still got the hands dirty muck in vibe, but lots of opportunities to develop with and in the team
- We want to see you do well and care about your development
- We have a really great and motivated team with a great culture
- Like any other growing business, it can be hectic at times but we don’t take hard work for granted
- Staff discount
- Flexible working hours
- Friday team lunch
Equal opportunity employer
Our mission is to make fancy pyjamas for the pleasure of leisure whilst championing our values of celebration, comfort and creativity. We know we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team and so will always be committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, identities, perspectives, and skills. As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome and encourage the unique contributions that individuals bring in terms of their education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, veteran’s status, colour, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.